Friday, September 12, 2008

I heart cake

This morning, through a fortuitous chain of events, Jakob & I were able to schedule a cake tasting. In case you're counting - yes, this is number 4. This one was with Colorado Rose Cake Company in Berthoud, Colorado. If you're planning a wedding in along the front range, this place is definitely worth a visit.

Their cakes consist of four layers of cake with three layers of filling. For information on cake. filling, and icing flavors offered, check out their Information page.

Our tasting this morning included seven yummy options:

(clockwise from top left): Butter Pecan cake with Bavarian Cream filling & buttercream icing, Yellow cake with Apricot Mango filling & whipped icing, Spice cake with Apple filling & buttercream icing, Pumpkin cake with Bavarian Cream filling & buttercream icing, Almond Poppyseed cake with Raspberry filling & buttercream icing, Almond Cherry Cake with Cherry filling & whipped icing, and Chocolate-Chocolate Chip cake with Mocha filling & buttercream icing. We were also able to try their cream cheese mints, which are sold by the pound and are used as favors for your guests.

Normally, Jakob doesn't like anything pecan, so imagine my surprise when he actually liked the butter pecan cake! I'm a typical Southern girl - love my pecans! Not so typical of the South is my love of mango, so of course I was excited about the second cake we tasted, yellow with apricot mango filling. Both of us liked this one too - looks like choosing may be challenging. Jakob adored the spice cake with apple - me, not so much so. Neither of us cared for the pumpkin. The almond cherry with cherry filling - I'll admit I was a little nervous about this one. The last time we tried a cake with cherry filling, we loved it but were afraid it may be too strong a cherry flavor for our guests; and this one was cherry cake AND cherry filling. Luckily it wasn't overwhelmingly cherry-ish! That only left the chocolate-chocolate chip with mocha. Both of us were trying to keep an open mind about the idea of chocolate cake, but I had barely started chewing when I blurted out, "Too much chocolate!" So, once again, chocolate was an easy one to scratch off our list.

Later, I will let you know which cake company we have decided to go with. First, let's talk about how I found the four companies where we scheduled consultations. First, we were given a list of preferred vendors from the Stanley Hotel, way back when we were going to have the wedding there. That's where I got the contact information for Colorado Rose and Kim & Company. Later, I decided I should broaden my search area to find more potential vendors. For that, I turned to my trusty friend Google. (Yes, when a question arises that I cannot answer, my response is almost always, "Let's Google it!") That's where I found Tee & Cakes and Cakes by Karen, both located in Boulder. Cakes by Karen actually has four other locations as well, one of which is in Denver.
Another invaluable resource has been the website for the Estes Park Wedding Association. I consider myself lucky that the town we chose for our wedding has its own wedding association & website with vendor listings. I highly suggest you check for the existence of one in your town. Before you think, "There's no way - my town is too small," let me tell you a little about Estes Park. Nestled in the Rocky Mountains, Estes Park has an area of just 5.9 square miles and its population in 2000 was just over 5,000 people. Granted, there are a lot of wedding there due to the beauty of the scenery and the ambiance of the town. But if there's one thing I've learned on this crazy roller coaster called wedding planning, it's that it never hurts to ask!

Previous cake posts:
C is for Cake (Cakes by Karen, Boulder/Denver)
Virgin Wedding (Tee & Cakes, Boulder)
It's Finally Here (Kim & Company, Estes Park)

No comments:

Post a Comment