Thursday, August 28, 2008

Virgin Wedding??

Okay, so our second cake tasting was at Tee & Cakes in Boulder, Colorado. The cake artist there is named Kim - super nice, super cool chick! The shop itself appears to be a converted mechanic's shop in the Pearl Street Mall, and it's really what I think of when I think "Boulder"...kind of a combination of green, hippie, college chic.
Here are our (cup)cakes:


(clockwise from top left) Summer Picnic, Bunnies Delight, Capri Kiss, Virgin Wedding

First up was Bunnies Delight, a fresh carrot cake with grated orange zest topped with white chocolate cream cheese buttercream. Although a delicious carrot cake, it just wasn't the "bridal" cake we were looking for. I LOVED the icing!
Summer Picnic was a sweet cream butter pound cake with mascarpone cream and seasonal fresh berries. It was interesting - I'm used to strawberry shortcake, but this had all kinds of berries - it really is like a summer picnic, but still not what we were looking for.
Virgin Wedding is a pure white cake laced with almond, filled with Tahitian vanilla bean flecked buttercream. There were two things I didn't like about this cake - first, the cake was very dense - I personally prefer my cake to be light and fluffy. And then there was the icing. I've shared with you my love of cakes and even some photos of cakes I've made. What I didn't mention is that I make my own buttercream icing. I won't tell you what the base of the icing is because you may never look at cake the same way again, but it's NOT butter. This icing was butter. Of course I took a big ole bite and felt like I'd just put a spoonful of country crock in my mouth. Some people love the mouth-feel of butter, but I'm definitely not one of them.
Capri Kiss was by far my favorite. It's a lemon cake, infused with Limoncello liqueur, filled with alternating layers of lemon curd & sweet cream. Kim makes the lemon curd from scratch, and that cake is divine!
I left the shop torn. I loved the capri kiss, but I really want a two flavor cake, and I wasn't at all crazy about the French BUTTERcream icing either. On top of that, Kim's decorating style and mine weren't really in sync. At the end of the day, I reluctantly had to scratch Tee & Cakes from my ever dwindling list of possible bakers for our wedding cake.

Did you get any unexpected surprises during your wedding vendor research?

No comments:

Post a Comment