Friday, October 3, 2008

Mrs. Bee's Big News

Yesterday, Mrs. Bee of WeddingBee made a big announcement: She has sold Weddingbee to eHarmony. This sale will make her life a lot less hectic and allow her to concentrate on the fun part of Weddingbee. She still retains full editorial control. While eHarmony "owns" the site, at this point it appears nothing will change as far as the content, selection process or diversity of brides (and grooms like Mr. Mango). Sadly, some of the Bees will be leaving the site due to their concerns about the partnership between WeddingBee and eHarmony. Mrs. Gingerbread, one of Weddingbee's bloggers, says it much more eloquently that I could, so it is, in her words:
I am concerned with eHarmony’s heavy involvement from 2000-2005 with Focus on the Family, an organization that promotes unscientific conversion therapies of LGBTQ people and homosexuality as a mental illness. I know that as both a member of the LGBTQ community and as a psychologist, that this rhetoric and these practices have and continue to cause a lot of harm to LGBTQ people. I am not sure that I can be involved with a company that in any way is associated with an organization that promotes this type of practice. Eharmony has distanced themselves from Focus on the Family for the past few years, but I worry that this is more of a business decision rather than an actual change of heart. I believe that their current company practices support my concerns.

The other reason for concern among many Bees is eHarmony's policy against same-sex matching. My previous post There's Nothing Wrong With Adam & Steve makes my views on same-sex marriage pretty obvious. To read views from Mrs. Bee, Mrs. Creampuff, Miss Sweet Tea, and a response from Stan Holt, VP of Publishing at eHarmony, check out this post on Weddingbee.
Someone from the audience says, "And how do you feel about this, Loralie?"
Well, that's a valid question, and I don't have an answer for it. I'm still very up in the air about the whole thing, and I have questions. . . like "Will eHarmony make money from my visiting the Weddingbee site?" and "If so, can I break myself of the addiction of visiting several times per day?"
About a month ago, I applied to be a blogger for Weddingbee. I wasn't chosen, but no hard feelings. The night I received the decision from the panel, I decided then and there I would apply again after the four week mandatory waiting period (much longer than that three day wait to buy a gun). So my four weeks are up but I'm going to keep my application to myself for a few more days so I can get some answers to my questions and make the best informed decision possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment