Sunday, February 22, 2009

Veil Distress

After falling in love with Sara Gabriel's birdcage veils, but not her prices, I decided to go the DIY route. I found a place in Denver called Allyn's that sells French veil and purchased a yard. My first attempt fell flat. At first I wanted the veil to come to just below my nose, but after deciding on the angled design instead, I didn't have enough material to make it work.
Back to Allyn's I went. This time I got a yard & a half just to be safe. I stopped by a wig shop and got a styrofoam mannequin head. I had a plan - a great plan! I'd just use the mannequin, material & some bent quilting pins to try out placement before sewing it all together. I pinned my design but decided to wait a few days before sewing anything - just to make sure I was happy with the total effect.
Today I picked up the mannequin head only to find my cat had made a few modifications to my design. Apparently, she likes French food - or at least French veiling. I finally figured out exactly how I wanted this thing to look (and it took me a long time), and now there are holes all in it. Even the extra I purchased is ruined.
I was so angry and upset and frustrated that I actually sat down on the floor and started crying. I'm sure just the overall stress of paying for and planning a wedding that is just over two months away also has a lot to do with my mini-meltdown.
Jakob came home and asked what was wrong. I told him what Montana had done, and he laughed. Yeah, it kinda put it in perspective. I'm still frustrated and not looking forward to having to re-do all the work I've done, but it's not the end of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment